Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Daring Ear - Ideal Sound

So we’re going to go way out into pop territory here, which for me is pretty uncharted. But I promise, we’ll make it back and interrelate this into tape land somehow. Ideal Sound, is the latest release from solo artist Aaron Deer, on Portuguese label, A Giant Fern. Lyrics, half spoken/sung by Deer in a simple, honest style of delivery, placed delicately over a cyclical haunting mix of instrumentation. Tracks merge an accessible pop structure with a loop based collage of sounds. For me, the flip of the tape steals the show. Things go from downright creepy on tracks like You’ll Offer Me, which is an absolutely chiller, to a simple, optimistic, touching finale with Pull Reins On. It took me a couple of listens to appreciate these sounds, but now I’m addicted to the convergence of tape based music and indie vocals, and I think you will be too.

Great art design, black shell tapes, print included. Grab direct by emailing A Giant Fern.

No comments:

Post a Comment